Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Nothing But The Funk



A few weeks ago I played at a special edition of The Do-Over called The Left-Over. That day, I heard one of the best sets I've heard in years. The DJ's name was Dâm-Funk. He played some funky ass shit and the best part was that I'd never heard any of it before. He had unreleased Roger Troutman joints and just record after record (yes, I said record) of fire, mostly in the 80's funk/disco/soul arena.
He also played one of his own tracks, which i believe to be quite fiery.

Dâm-Funk - Sidewayz (Stones Throw - 2007)

It's from a recent Peanut Butter Wolf/Stones Throw compilation called 2K8 B-Ball Zombie War, which doubles as the soundtrack to NBA2K8. It's got a few other tracks you should definitely peep by the likes of Arabian Prince, MF Doom, Dilla & Q-Tip.

Dam (pronounced Dame) has a weekly party here in LA called Funkmosphere which I plan on checking out soon. It's apparently off the chain as per Peanut Butter Wolf himself.
I also heard he used to play keys for Warren G ... that's what I call cred folks.

No comments: